Water damage is something no homeowner wants to deal with, but if it does happen you will want to take immediate action to prevent the problem from becoming worse. This is the best way to ensure a successful water damage clean up. Here are five tips for cleaning your home on your own before the professionals arrive:
- Turn off the Power: Risk of electrocution in a flooded home is high, so you want to be sure that you shut off the power to your home if you can, especially if the water level reaches the electrical outlets. If the electrical box is not located near any standing water, you should be able to turn off the power without causing any harm to yourself. Once you do this, you should remove electronic devices from your home in an effort to save them from damage.
- Remove Furniture: Removing furniture right away is important. There is a higher chance that you will be able to clean the furniture and dry it out without the water causing the furniture to be completely ruined. This is also a great way to clear out your home so that professionals can come in and dry the carpeting or other type of flooring in your home.
- Remove Water: Once the furniture, electronics and other items that can possibly be damaged are removed from your home or the area that has been affected, you will want to remove as much of the water as possible before the professionals arrive. Using towels to soak up water on the floor, buckets to remove large amounts of water, and mops to clean hard surface flooring are the best way to help with the time that it is going to take the professionals to dry the house completely.
- Turn On Fans: Once most of the water has been removed from your home, you can turn the electricity back on. At this point, you will want to turn on any ceiling fans you have, open windows, and turn on a dehumidifier in the house, as well. Doing this is going to help with the dry out time, as well and ensure that mold and mildew doesn't have time to grow quickly.
- Call the Professionals: Calling in the professionals to help dry out the house completely is important. They will have all the right tools to do this. For example, they have high powered fans and for carpet flooring, they will have high suction machines that will remove excess water completely. Be sure that you save receipts for the cost of hiring them and take pictures of the damage before they arrive so you can compensated through your homeowners insurance if possible.
Following these five tips for cleaning up your home after suffering water damage, you can be sure that you get the job done quickly and efficiently leaving your family out of the home for only a short period of time before it's back to normal.althousecleaning.com Share